Experiencing an act of domestic violence is an overwhelming experience on several levels. Along with the psychological and physical trauma, you also face significant legal issues.
You should get help – and you should get that help immediately.
Below is list of resource that can help you deal many of the issues that you will face. These resources can provide you with support and guide you through the process of getting the protection you need.
We strongly advise you to contact one or more of these organizations form the start. Don’t wait until you have a question or a problem. They can give guidance on how to do this right, and they can provide answers to questions you haven’t even thought of.
At the very least, they will confirm the actions you are taking and give you the confidence that you are on the right track.
24 Hour Hotlines
Call these hotlines any time for immediate advice and assistance regardless of where you live. They will walk you through everything you need to do now.
- The Center for Abused Persons in Charles County: 301-645-3336
- The House of Ruth Hotline for all of Maryland: 410-889-RUTH (7884)
- National Domestic Violence Hotline: 1-800-799-SAFE (7233)
Support and Advocacy Organizations by County
These organizations operate in each of our local counties. That is useful because they know the main players in the local legal systems in those counties.
Call these organizations for help and advice if you live in Waldorf, La Plata, or anywhere in Charles County:
- Center for Abused Persons
2670 Crain Highway, Room 303 Waldorf, MD 20601
- Indian Head NSWC Family Support Services
4260 Steve’s Way, Bldg D-328
Indian Head, MD 20640
St. Mary’s County
Call these organizations for help and advice if you live in Lexington Park, Leonardtown, or anywhere in St. Mary’s County:
30007 Business Center Dr, Charlotte Hall, MD 20622
- NAS PAX River Family Support Services. 301-342-4911
21933 Bundy Rd, Bldg 2090
Patuxent River , MD 20670
Prince George’s County
Call these organizations for help and advice if you live in Clinton, Brandywine, Upper Marlboro, or anywhere in Prince George’s County:
- Family Crisis Center, Inc.
3601 Taylor Street Brentwood, MD 2072
- Joint Base Andrews Family Support (301) 981-7087. 1191 Menoher Drive, JB Andrews, MD, United States 20762
Call this organizations for help and advice if you live in Calvert County:
Crisis Intervention Center
Route 4 at Hospital Road P.O. Box 980 Prince Frederick, MD 20678
Maryland State Wide Directory
This website lists all of the domestic violence support organizations throughout the state of Maryland.
The first and best place to go for direct legal assistance is Maryland Legal Aid.
Southern Maryland Office
15045 Burnt Store Road
Hughesville, MD 20637
Local Phone Number: (301) 932-6661
Toll Free Phone Number: (877) 310-1810
Volunteer Lawyer Assistance Program
You can also contact the local Courthouse Clerk’s office to find out about the volunteer lawyer assistance program dates and times. This is a program of the local Bar Associations to provide a lawyer on site at the courthouse during specific times. You can meet and get personal advice for your situation for free during these meetings.
- Charles County Clerk of Court – 301-932-3201
- St. Mary’s County Clerk of Court – 301-475-7844
- Calvert County Clerk of Court – 410-535-1660
- Prince George’s County Clerk of Court – 301-952-3318
These are places on the internet where you can find more information about how to protect yourself and your family during a domestic violence crisis.
- Our own free guide on how to file a Protective Order in Maryland
- The Peoples’ Law Library Directory of Legal Services
- Maryland Court Domestic Violence
- Maryland Peoples’ Law Guide
- Southern Maryland Center for Family Advocacy
- The Women’s Law Center of Maryland
And if you are thinking ahead to that next step, our website has two very good Free Legal Guides for Divorce & Child Support:
- What You Need to Know About Divorce in Maryland
- What You Need to Know About Child Support & Child Custody in Maryland
Bottom line: You are not alone in this situation and there are people who want to help you. Please reach out to them today.